Our region’s most family-friendly party takes place this Saturday. The CHEO Foundation invites everyone to come and enjoy the 34th edition of CHEO’s Teddy Bears’ Picnic, tomorrow on the grounds of Rideau Hall. No rain date.
At the recent CHEO Telethon a record $8,727,897 was raised to support life-saving medicine, ground-breaking research, compassionate patient care and crucial equipment upgrades at CHEO and the Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre. The Teddy Bears’ Picnic is one important way for CHEO to thank this amazing community for their continued support. It is a fun-filled day in which CHEO celebrates families and children and is jam-packed with activities for kids of all ages:
- The day begins with a celebrity breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. where pancakes, sausages, juice and coffee are available for $5 per adult and $3 per child. The food will be served up by local celebrities.
- At 9 a.m. the popular B*A*S*H Tent (Bear Ambulatory Surgical Hospital) will open and volunteers from CHEO will make sure to fix any boo-boo that local stuffies have sustained. Children are invited to bring their teddy bears and other stuffed animals for their yearly check-up and visit to the dentist.
- At 9:30 a.m., another local celebrity – CHEO Bear – will lead the parade of mascots to the delight of children big and small.
- Carnival games presented by Giant Tiger, children’s rides, clowns, face painting and free tours of the Governor General’s official residence are also on the agenda, as is the popular Build a Buddy tent presented by Bell, where for a $20 donation children can create their very own teddy bear. All proceeds from the Build A Buddy tent go to CHEO. Family entertainment is also offered on the main stage between 10 a.m. and noon. All festivities end at 2 p.m.
- There will be an ATM on site but there is no parking on site but free parking and shuttles will be available at CHEO with the last shuttle bus leaving Rideau Hall grounds at 2:15. There is also free parking at NRC, 100 Sussex which is a just short walk to the picnic.
Admission is free and The Girls, Nida and myself will serving up breakfast from 8:30 to 9:15, we hope to see you there.
Photo Credit: ottawacitizen.com