Sunny skies and chilly temperatures in the forecast for Saturday’s Remembrance Day ceremonies around the Ottawa-area. The biggest ceremony of all is the one that takes place in downtown Ottawa at the National War Memorial. Diana Abel of Brampton serves as this year’s Silver Cross Mother at that ceremony. Her son Michael died in 1993 while serving with the Canadian Armed Forces in Somalia.
There are numerous smaller Remembrance Day ceremonies around the region:
- Aylmer: Royal Canadian Legion, 59 rue Bancroft
- Barrhaven: John McCrae Secondary School, 103 Malvern Drive
- Beechwood Cemetery: For military members and their families and friends, 280 Beechwood Avenue
- Chelsea: Chelsea Pioneer Cemetery and Cenotaph, 587 Route 105
- Gatineau: Royal Canadian Legion, 86 rue de la Baie (at 2pm)
- Kanata: Village Green Memorial Park, 10 Colchester Square
- Manotick: Manotick Cenotaph, 5525 Dickinson Street
- Navan: Navan Memorial Cenotaph, 1295 Colonial Road
- Nepean: Royal Canadian Legion Branch 593, 4026 Old Richmond Rd.
- Orléans: Royal Canadian Legion, 800 Taylor Creek Drive
- Vanier: Eastview Legion, 294 Cyr Avenue