The holidays are a fun time for all and let’s keep it fun…..and safe for our pets too.
There are many dangers over the holidays that we might not think about, or even forget about as we get busy.
Let’s start with food…..no rich or fatty food for your cute kitty or perfect puppy no matter how much they look at you like it’s okay. Alcohol is a definite No-No because No No it’s not cute to see your pets stumble around, a bit tipsy.
Don’t give in to their sweet tooth as chocolate, coffee, and tea all contain a dangerous substance called xanthines which can cause nervous system or urinary system damage and heart stimulation.
And while fruit is healthy for us…..for our fur-friends, not so much. Grapes and raisins contain a toxin which can damage the kidneys.
Over to the tree, trimmings and wrapping we go…..our animals just love all the shiny, noisy things to play with but these shouldn’t include these things.
Exposed wiring for the lights should be kept away from any chewing, the tree itself should be stable as they do like to climb them…..well in all fairness outside they can right so make sure it won’t fall if anyone should happen to use it as a climbing post.
Tinsel is also bad if swallowed and going through the digestive system so maybe don’t use any and pick up any wrapping right away…ribbons, yarn, bows and string, all can cause intestinal obstruction and bunching of the intestine if ingested. These conditions require surgery and can be fatal.
Ribbons and bells tied merrily around your dog or cat’s neck may be cute, but they can also be dangerous.
Photo Credit: commons.wikimedia.org