Have you ever answered the door only to have an aggressive salesperson try to sell you a new water filtration system? The City of Ottawa is again warning residents to be aware of door-to-door salespeople posing as water-quality technicians and making false claims about the quality of City drinking water. These salespeople have been known to approach residents to sell water filtration or treatment systems and provide incorrect information pertaining to water quality. City officials say Ontario’s Environment Ministry has rated Ottawa’s drinking water as being among the safest in the world.
Residents are reminded that:
- City employees do not contact residents to sell products or services
- Except for emergency situations, home access is scheduled in advance
- City employees carry identification at all times – you have the right to ask for ID
- City employees always travel in City of Ottawa logo-identified marked vehicles
- Should you have concerns or wish to report suspicious visits or calls, please contact 3-1-1
(City of Ottawa news release)